RE: Can a machine test itself? + other issues

Title: RE: Can a machine test itself? + other issues

Dick, et al. -

Throwing my two cents worth into this:

ES&S has used both entirely proprietary configurations and ones with COTS.

Definitely, if there is a way to make COTS workable (rules that allow for their use but make it acceptable constraints that the COTS providers will meet those rules and yet provide the necessary level of assurance), there should be a lower cost to deploying systems with them.  And, in use of the term "cost", I include more than just raw money -- time and effort to build/test/maintain/etc.

It is possible by setting up the rules around COTS (or Open Source for that matter) to either incent or disincent the voting solution vendors in such use.

- Peter Z
Peter M Zelechoski, CISSP, MBA-TM
Election Systems & Software
pzelechoski@essvote.com
402-970-1242

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This e-mail transmission and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain information that is confidential and may constitute non-public information.  It is intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s) named above.  Any unauthorized use, reproduction, forwarding, distribution or other dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail transmission, please notify the sender by return e-mail and permanently delete any record of this transmission.  Your cooperation is appreciated.