Re: Can a machine test itself? + other issues

> please re-read my comments.

My apologies if I insulted you or if I failed to realize that you
thought embedded systems a possibility; re-reading your comments,
I still perceive that you reckon them as economic
impossibilities, at best.

> ... economics of voting systems is such that most voting
> systems are based on either Windows or Linux and not custom
> embedded systems for the reason that vendors have wished to
> save money...

Many other industries are bound by such restraints, yet those
industries thrive.  And, we are not talking about a small
fortune, just more money; but, even if we were talking about a
huge sum, I would still have to ask, what is the price of
democracy?

Some months ago there was a discussion on the security TG's
reflector that I started by stating "Therefore, methinks we
should either inject some verbiage concerning affordability into
our purpose or we should decide that that is not a criterion.";
full email with URL below.

Vince

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/scc38/1583/emailtg1/msg00242.html