Re: Re: Can a machine test itself? + other issues

"BIOS" is just the acronym for the name IBM chose around 1980 for their
firmware interface when they built the PC.

The issue you seem to raise relates to the presence of an "operating
system" that is a general program providing services and control to
application programs.  In your embedded systems, the operating system is
likely to be a stripped-down program more tightly coupled, as you say,
to the applications.

The issue is one of generality versus tailoring.  Generality puts stuff
in the firmware interface and the operating system that isn't needed by
every application.  A voting system (or a pacemaker, for that matter)
isn't also going to be used to word process business letters.  And all
that extra stuff that isn't needed for what the system actually does is
a source of concerns for integrity, safety, and reliability.

The bottom line is that it is cheaper to throw in the kitchen sink, even
if you don't need it, but if you do your integrity, safety, and
reliability may go down the drain.

Stan Klein

--
Stanley A. Klein <sklein@cpcug.org>