Inspection of COTS software (6.6.2)

While reviewing the latest version of section 6.6 ("Software and Functionality"), I noticed the following:

"Unmodified, general purpose COTS non-voting software (e.g., operating systems, programming language compilers, data base management systems, and Web browsers) is not subject to the detailed examinations specified in this section. This software shall comply with section 4.3.11 ("Previously developed or purchased software") of IEEE Std 1228 - 1994, "IEEE Standard for Software Safety Plans".  Portions of COTS software that have been modified by the voting system vendor in any manner are subject to review."

(second paragraph of 6.6.2)

This strikes me as addressing many of the concerns of those who want to use COTS software without concern for its source code conforming to stylistic and other sundry details mandated in 6.6.

I looked at the COTS resolutions ( http://www.lipsio.com/COTS/docs/COTS.resolved.html ) and found this:

"--- Lipsio-4D, MercuriD50 - 022, schneidewind - 007

Eliminate paragraphs 2, 3, and 4 of section 6.6.2, replacing them with: 'COTS software components shall comply with section 4.3.11 ("Previously developed or purchased software") of IEEE Std 1228-1994, "IEEE Standard for Software Safety Plans".' "

I don't have a copy of Draft 5.0 to check to see if this was as intended, but I suspect that it is precisely because it is not reasonable to subject the source code of COTS software to indentation standards, no single character variables, et cetera.

Vince