Re: COTS scope

Stan, Vince, et al -

The question that I intended to ask during the teleconference of Nov.
30... Under this proposed scope, how will warranty work on the equipment
be addressed?  If each time a defective driver or other COTS component
is identified and a warranty recall is issued (example: recent recall by
Dell for a defective driver for their RAID configuration used on central
tabulation machines), how will this impact requalification of a system?
The owners of the systems (jurisdictions) will want to take advantage of
warranty work while still covered by the warranty.   If the warranty
work requires the entire system to be requalified...that could be
impractical, given the time and expense involved, as well as the
potential quantity of warranty claims over the life of the unit.

- Merle

Merle S. King
http://science.kennesaw.edu/csis
Chair, CSIS Department
Kennesaw State University
1000 Chastain Road, MB #1101
Kennesaw, GA  30144-5591
voice: 770-423-6354; fax: 770-423-6731

>>> "Stanley A. Klein" <sklein@CPCUG.ORG> 11/22/2004 10:37:40 AM >>>
When P1583 was last balloted, there were numerous comments to the
effect
that COTS should not be exempt from inspection.  An STG was set up to
resolve those and other comments regarding COTS.

The resolution generally was that COTS should undergo the exact same
testing as any other parts of a voting system, unless it had been
previously tested and certified as satisfying the requirements of the
specification.

It seems to me that the proper procedure is to incorporate the
resolutions into the P1583 draft and move forward with the document.

We are working to replace an FEC standard that is widely agreed to be
inadequate.  The recent election resulted in numerous reports of
problems with voting systems that can easily be attributed to the
inadequacy of both the FEC standards and the ITA certification
process.

The COTS exemption is a major, glaring loophole in the FEC standard.
Given the technical alternatives for vendors and the procedures used
in
other mission critical systems, there is absolutely no reason for
allowing the COTS exemption to remain.  Of course it will be initially
inconvenient for vendors, but any meaningful upgrade of the FEC
standard
will involve some initial inconvenience for vendors.

>From my perspective, I see the leadership of P1583 slipping back into
the kinds of process games that just a month or two ago they agreed to
stop playing.  Their credibility is now on the line, and by
implication
the credibility of IEEE Standards as it relates to an issue with major
national attention.

Stan Klein

--
Stanley A. Klein <sklein@cpcug.org>