RE:

> trail is also out of the question.  It has oft been publicly
> argued that "we trust computers to fly airplanes, so why
> can't we trust them to count votes?",

Every airplane I've ever (trusted and) flown on, has a human pilot in the
loop; in fact two usually.  I don't think commercial aircraft ever take off
or land "no hands".  We only trust computers to fly our airplanes with miles
of open space on all six sides, in cruise-control mode, and even then, a
human pilot is always less than seconds away from regaining full control;
the cockpit is never empty.  So that analogy just "doesn't fly".